Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Melting Pot Menu W3

My Father has had a few restaurants in his time. So, aside from the standard pizza's, burger's, and fries expected in a "American" food establishment, what can we expect to see? If I owned a "American" style restaurant I would start by breaking down the appetizers. I'm always in search of the best places to go for soup; I think I would have several varieties of soup and have the standard combo option, salad, half sandwich, soup, or baked potato. The kinds of soup I would like to have would be: chicken tortilla, chicken noodle, beef barley, potato, corn chowder, and I would love to incorporate a weekly local produce into new recipes. Along with the many many soup options I would love to have several kinds of salads, as in Greek, the ever popular Cobb salad, and possibly a build your own salad option. I would also love to make homemade dressings.

Although, as I write this I think about some of the times I would go to a restaurant and actually complain about all of the different options there are and that is was to overwhelming. So I think I'm going to change the soup to two options of soup a day. Therefore, depending on the day you go you make have different options but not six or seven different options. As for vegetables I'm a big fan of fresh, crisp, and light meals. I hate when you get soggy mushy foods. I would definitely have to add grilled vegetables and quinoa stuffed mushroom caps to the appetizer portion. I would also have to add sashimi, I think when it's prepared properly it can be a classy fresh mini meal.

I think the stereotype for American cuisine in one word would be "fried" and that is something I would try to stay away from in my restaurant. What makes a restaurant "American" style? I have absolutely no clue, but I know what I like and from what I have heard of my friends and others I have an idea of what appeals to larger masses. I guess one of the best ways to describe my idea to someone else would be a fresh lighter spin on "traditional American meals" 
 
As for lunch options, I would have some nice pasta dishes: Lemon pasta with grilled vegetables, pasta marinara, and pasta with grilled chicken. For sandwiches: a nice turkey club, a grilled vegetable vegetarian option, and I would like to have a nice tofu sandwich. Tofu can be quite flavorful when cooked properly! Of course there is one thing I cannot leave out...CHICKEN FINGERS... there are times throughout the day that all I can think of is these juicy lovely variety stricken pieces of chicken. Also, I would have to stand by my statement of lighter versions of the classics, so they would not be fried but backed and battered in a much lighter coat of bread crumbs.

As for dinner options: tuna steak, Fillet Mignon, chicken breast roasted, also, some kind of pot roast. I think a lot of variation could be done on the classic pot roast with sweet potatoes and possibly fennel. Another, great chance to bring a homemade meal into a new light would be the pot pie. I think there could be separate pot pies with different kinds of dough and fillings used. Such as, filo dough, chicken, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots, and onions.

Well for deserts I would love fried cheesecake with ice cream and strawberries, flowerless chocolate cake, a fruit tart, tiramisu and then smoothies. I think smoothies would be a great option because you can use local seasonal fruit and always try and add new flavors. Also, I know a lot of people love to have coffee after dinner, so I would like to have some lovely post-dinner beverages.

I find that an "American" style menu would incorporate different parts of the world, different cooking styles and foods all melded into one cohesive plate.          
 

No comments:

Post a Comment