Monday, January 17, 2011

The Perfect Meal in a Glass W2

Ah I flip through my cook books I state the obvious; I much rather read from a book than off of a computer screen. I really do not enjoy having a blog it confuses me and I find more frustrations with it than good. So to try and get on a lighter topic, as opposed to blogs which I hate, reading recipes I love.

Something I noticed more when watching Julie and Julia is that the beverage is forgotten, as with many cook books or culinary films. I have many cookbooks but I would like to talk about one that my mom got me. It is a smoothie book, and yes there is cooking involved in some of these rather complicated meals in a glass. My mom got me hooked on anything blended and cold from when she blended up a fancy sundae smoothie to the healthier fruit smoothies.

There is so much you can create with a juicer and a blender, one thing I never thought I would love is vegetables in a fruity beverage. Now the thought of a smoothie with apple, spinach, pear, carrots, and strawberries sounds delicious. As I read about all of the fruits and vegetables you can juice and the beautiful colors that are pressed out of the machine in a lovely stream shown on a picture I suddenly have a craving for one of theses rainbow drinks.

Another great thing about this cook book is that it explains to the reader all of the minerals and vitamins you can get from each fruit or vegetable. It breaks down drinks into breakfast, lunch, dessert, and healthy snack. I regularly have a smoothie in place of a full meal. The cool frozen chunks of fruit whipped into a frenzy, and I love to see what kind of healthy additives I can pour into the blender, suggestions from the cook book such as silken tofu or wheat germ or even rolled oats. I love to see what kind of flavor and textures such additives will bring if they will be pleasant or down right nasty. 

Let me tell you wheat germ if used in too great a quantity will have a grainy texture but taste wise you never notice, about 2 tablespoons should do. I found I really love silken tofu to replace yogurt, as many yogurts have ridiculous amounts of hidden sugar. Also, my lactose and tolerance makes it a bad idea for me to use yogurt. But the tofu (must be silken) adds a nice creamy rich texture, I must admit if you use to much without adding enough separate flavors from different fruits or vegetables, you can taste a slight hint of plain tofu. Which isn't horrible, but it is enough to notice and want to eat something else to subside the taste which is quite the opposite affect the smoothie should have.

It is interesting I am always in the mood for smoothies, I can never turn one down. I love trying different exotic flavors like papaya juice, guava nectar, star anise, or even lemon grass if blended properly.

 You can make them to your exact specifications and they can be great in the morning adding different kinds of powdered nuts or peanut butter and of course tofu add great protein for when you wake up and need to get going.

As for desert they can be sweet with ice cream or strong with coffee the limits are non existent when making smoothies, and this cook book explains it all and has the most delicious mouth watering illustrations to hook line and sink anyone who picks it up. Anyone who reads this will swap a heavy early day meal for a delicious quick and easy to eat beverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment